Dental Mavericks: What We Stand For
Our Mission Statement
Dental Mavericks (DM) is a charitable dental relief organisation registered in the United Kingdom with ongoing operations in Morocco and Lebanon, supporting vulnerable communities.
Since 2010, the central goal and mission of Dental Mavericks has focused on making dental care accessible to vulnerable populations deprived of it, and more broadly, promoting oral hygiene education and practice.
Our priority is to address root causes and take people out of dental pain. In all areas of Dental Mavericks activities, we champion an ethos of high-quality care that is patient-led and dignified.
1. STRESS- FREE DENTISTRY – the moment the patient enters the treatment room our focus is on them to help release stress, build trust and not only provide the best treatment but an overall positive experience of visiting a dentist
2. PAIN FREE DENTISTRY – we use most efficient, long-lasting anesthetics and every injection is proceeded by application of topical anesthesia
3. QUALITY – good quality materials- where possible we use the highest quality materials. The reason for this is that we want our dentistry to last as long as possible and be the best for the beneficiary
4. BUILDING STRONG RELATIONSHIPS – with our partners and volunteers- we are small NGO but with big hearts. We have great appreciation for everyone who comes work with us and we put our efforts into making them feel like a part of Mavericks family
5. LONG-TERM CHANGE – emergency dentistry takes people out of pain but doesn’t empower them to take care of their teeth. This is why our projects for children focus on comprehensive training on oral hygiene and regular follow-up. Our biggest success is when children come to their guardians and ask: Why didn’t we brush our teeth today?
2030 UN Agenda for Sustainable Development
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries – developed and developing – in a global partnership.
They recognise that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.
Oral health of refugees and vulnerable communities is an essential part of the general health and is promoted by Dental Mavericks through the following SDG goals:
SDG 1 No poverty
We reduce out-of-pocket payments by refugees and vulnerable communities for dental care and we reduce their health vulnerability linked to economic, social and environmental events.
SDD 3 Good health and well-being
We enhance access to quality, equitable health care services including dental services. We increase oral health workforce capacity by financing, recruitment, and training of dental nurses.
SDG 10 Reduced inequality
We recognise that migration is a determinant of health and can expose refugees to multiple health risks during all phases of the migration process. Our policies respect refugees right to health to ensure equitable access to health services including dental services.
SDG 17 Partnerships for the goals
We build partnerships by connecting countries and communities to enhance the oral health of refugees and vulnerable communities and we open discussions to include dental care in humanitarian responses. We increase the availability of data on oral health to allow the monitoring of oral health and the implementation of policies affecting the oral health needs of refugees and vulnerable communities.